West Marine’s safe boating checklist to help stay safe on the water:
1. Check weather report and tides/currents
2. File a float plan with someone you know. Tell them where youʼre going and when you intend to return (and what to do if you don’t).
3. Identify non-swimmers: Supply them with fitted life jackets while on the water
4. Identify second-in-command in case of skipperʼs incapacitation
5. Identify the location and the operation of the following Coast Guard required safety items if fitted
- Life jackets – should be readily accessible
- Lifesling or throwable flotation – should be immediately accessible.
- Horn or sound-producing device as required
- Fire extinguishers and a brief description of their operation (P.A.S.S.)
- Flares or other Visual Distress Signals
- Check operation of Navigation Lights